I was searching for a salad with a bit Asian flair to go with take away sushi, when I came across a carrot, cilantro, chili slaw from Bon Appetit. The salad takes about 20 minutes to make and it’s absolutely delicious! If you don’t like spicy food you might want to tone down the jalapeño, I used red chili instead of jalapeño.
Carrot, Cilantro, and Chili Slaw
recipe from Bon Appetit
- 12 ounces carrots (preferably assorted colors), peeled, julienned (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for seasoning
- 2 jalapeños, stemmed, seeded, minced
- 1/2 cup (loosely packed) fresh cilantro leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Freshly ground black pepper
Toss carrots, oil, lime juice, sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, and jalapeños in a large bowl. Let marinate for 15 minutes, tossing occasionally.
Add cilantro, coriander and sesame seeds; toss to evenly incorporate. Season to taste with salt and pepper.